Sunrise for the Seniors

Sofia Rao, Staff Writer

The graduating class of 2021 has missed out on a lot this year. Things like pep rallies and the homecoming dance have been eliminated due to the rapid spread of Covid-19. Social gatherings have dwindled and with it, the expectations of the “senior experience”.

Next Friday, students will have the opportunity to take back part of their senior year. Freedom is hosting a senior sunrise on the football fields. The event begins at 6:45 on February 5th. This will allow students to socialize while maintaining a safe social distance.

“I’m really looking forward to watching the sunrise with my friends.” Britney Chen, 12, continued, “It finally  feels like someone is actually trying to give us something to enjoy this year.”

Seniors have had many of the events they look forward to taken away. The sunrise is one of the few social activities seniors have had this entire year. Allowing students to come watch the sunrise with their friends is an event that will not comprise the student’s health.

“This is going to be such a cool event. I’m super excited and kind of relieved. No one is going to be getting sick because this event is unsafe,” Kwame Ofosu,12, said.

Coronavirus has put a damper on many high schooler’s social affairs. Many students have adapted to the changes we’ve seen within our society in the past year. High schoolers are avoiding occasions that could put them at risk altogether.

“I hope that this isn’t just a one-time thing.” explained  Makenna Thomas,12, “I want the people with influence to make sure we keep having events like this. It feels like no one cares about my senior experience.”

It appears that seniors are beginning to feel neglected. There are not many social events for seniors to look forward to. Events like the senior sunrise provide students with an opportunity to have fun with their friends.

“I’m ready to watch the sun come up on from a blanket with my friends. Moments like that are priceless” Jayla Butler, 12, said.