• September 17RIVALRY WEEK! Freedom plays at Wharton, Friday @ 7:30

Dual Enrollment: Full Disclosure

The Dale Mabry campus of Hillsborough Community College

Anna Lamlein, Staff Writer

Everyone wants to make the most of what high school has to offer. Getting a jump start on college classes through Dual Enrollment courses can be a beneficial option for many students – if you commit yourself to the program.

To qualify for Dual Enrollment, a student must have 3.0 GPA and a passing PERT or other standardized test score.  Once you meet the standards, you are eligible to apply for on campus or online classes at Hillsborough Community College (HCC).  With the help of guidance counselors at both Freedom and HCC, you can be enrolled at both schools.

This is so appealing to students because of the advantage of not having to pay for these college courses while simultaneously finishing your high school credits.

Dual Enrollment student Amir Iranmanesh, 11, explained, “Along with meeting new people who share similar interests, it has allowed me to get a head start in college, which is extremely beneficial.”

The experience of being on a college campus can also help students get insight into preparing for their future.

However, with great reward comes great sacrifice. When deciding dual enrollment is the best option, it’s important to recognize the potential risks involved.

Freedom guidance counselor Mr. Diaz warned, “The disadvantages to the student are that this GPA won’t go away. This is your college GPA. So whatever it is you do, you have to be prepared to do the best that you can.”

This responsibility shouldn’t be taken lightly. As a dual enrollment student myself, the amount of time devoted to these classes was a surprise. When considering this option, keep in mind the amount of time to travel to and from campus, the extended class lengths and time for coursework.

In an effort to make Dual Enrollment for accessible for Freedom students, administrators are planning to add a few Dual Enrollment classes here on campus. English and meteorology courses are on the list of potential classes.

Another tricky component of Dual Enrollment is the possibility that later universities won’t accept your credits. In order to avoid this issue, checking with the colleges you plan to apply to before completing classes at HCC is something to keep in mind.

“I would say the vast majority of students are successful with this program,” Mr. Diaz concludes. “Are there times they are not? Yes. They don’t realize that’s a different world than this one. You have to understand they’re not going to baby you. Although, if done correctly, this experience can be very beneficial.”