The Legend That Lives On

Jacob Schuster, Staff Writer

It has been fourteen weeks since the death of Harambe, the gorilla who was shot and killed by Cincinnati Zoo staff after a child fell into his exhibit. Freedom High School students are still deeply impacted on an emotional level by the death of the gorilla. The incident occurred on May 28th, 2016. Most Freedom Patriots have a strong opinion about the significance of Harambe’s death when asked.

h2
Harambe lives on in Freedom classrooms.

“He will be missed,” said Cobyn Panarelli, Junior, who has a special love for all primates.

Some even praise him on a spiritual level.

Case Eastman, Sophomore, commented, “He was a symbol.”

Other students have contrasting views of the gorilla’s death and the jokes that followed.

“He was just a gorilla,” said Ryan Borso, Senior. He met much opposition from his fellow band members on this comment.

“I have NEVER laughed a Harambe joke,” snapped Jarrod Rodriguez, Senior. He frequently expresses his opinions on the subject through Twitter.

A revitalization has occurred in the fight against human-on-animal crime by the accidental death of another primate, Bantu, a Western Lowland Gorilla, killed in Mexico City in July. He went into cardiac arrest after being sedated for transport. This has caused a rebirth of excitement towards the cause.

“Human-on-gorilla crime needs to stop,” said an anonymous student.

The true shame of Harambe’s death is the meaninglessness of it. Students have gone so far as to erect monuments to Harambe’s glory. Talented artist Julia Linton was so inspired by the gorilla’s death that she sketched him on her wall at home.