Finish What Was Started

Finish What Was Started

Freedom High School’s very own Boys Patriots basketball team will be starting their fifth season under Coach Cedric Smith on November 18th at Leto High School. When Smith came to Freedom, he inherited a talented team that didn’t quite know what they were missing; little did they know he was the final piece of the puzzle they were searching for. In Smith’s five seasons at Freedom he has truly outdone himself by: pushing the team, training the players, further developing their skills, and focusing on the fundamentals of the game.

In the past two seasons, The Pats have reached the regional semi-finals and finals, while chasing a state ring. With a team full of accomplished seniors, a well-balanced group of guards and versatile ‘big’ men, can they do it this year? Can they end their high school careers on top? Or, for the third year in a row will they be stopped in their tracks?

“I want to be a big part of the team on and off the court. I want us all to be in-sync on and off the court. I want us to exceed our goals.” said senior guard Kolade Alli.

Alli is a senior that has come a long way. From not being able to dribble the ball, now with well-rounded skills that need touch ups but a key player if given the chance.

“I believe we’ll have a successful season if we all buy-in. I think this team can accomplish many things if we work hard and compete at a high level. It’s going to be tough but I think this group of guys can get it done” said senior Jamal Byrne.

Byrne is a well experienced returning transfer with a great basketball background. He’s played in three state titles, and won all three with AAU travel team the Tampa Bay Ambassadors.

“This season is about perfection. Perfect in the way we act, perfect in the way we practice, perfect in the way we play. We will not reach perfection but we will be pretty darn close to it” said Senior Guard Sheldon Odunna.

Odunna has made tremendous leap in his game from his freshman year. Now, he is a huge factor in the team’s game plan; he is the leading scorer planning on a great senior campaign.

“I feel as though we have a few transfers that should help us win more games and add more size to the lineup; plus the returning seniors whose chemistry complements each other. Expect BIG things this year” said senior Dylan Angel.

Angel has become a deadly shooter and better at putting the ball on the ground. Big things are expected from him like big shots and key passes. He’s recently been offered to play for Oxford College of Emory University in Georgia. This is the first offer of many, a great opportunity for a great player.

Although the boys are pretty confident in how they think this season should go, what does Coach Smith have to say?

“It’s one thing to know what you have to do and to say the right things, but when it comes down to it you have to get it done.” said Coach Smith.

After talking to players and coaches, it seems the team is headed in the right direction and have good heads on their shoulders. It’ll take time and bonding but this team has what it needs to get it done and they surely will with Coach Smith at the head guiding them to the ‘promised land.’ Let’s finish what was started, Patriots!