Prom 2K16

Prom+2K16

Tyler Young, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again for juniors and seniors; having to dress up for a very special night in their life: prom. This year’s Freedom High School prom is on Saturday, May 14th, starting at 7 P.M. and wrapping up at around 11 P.M.
Unlike previous years of prom taking place at Lowry Park Zoo, this year it will be hosted at the District 3 Event Center in Downtown Tampa. Many students are happier with the new venue for prom this year and think that it will make the experience better.

Claire Snell, Senior, says “I went last year and had a lot fun. It was at Lowry Park Zoo last year. Personally, I’m really excited that we decided to “break tradition” and hold it somewhere else, it’s exciting! I know the senior class officers have been working super hard on it, it’s gonna be a great time!”

The District 3 Event Center was built in 1921 and was a former warehouse, now it is a 22,000-square-foot blank canvas. It features high ceilings and polished concrete floors make it an ideal place to hold  a prom.

This year at prom the music is going to be a little different compared to the previous years. This year they are having a Freedom student DJ the event; DJ Sal. Sal Luongo is a Senior at Freedom and he says that: “Prom is going to be the best it’s ever going to be, you have me DJing and that’s a guaranteed W. I have lasers and nitrogen cannons at my disposal, my setup is so out of this world and I’m going to put the mix of my life out there, I’m going to have the whole school off the wall turnt.”

The Event Center often has concerts and photoshoots there, and because of this, DJ Sal will be able to utilize the great sound system they have and have the whole place moving.

“Prom will definitely be exciting. With a new venue downtown and DJ Sal bringing the house down, it’s going to be a great time for sure,” says Dean LaGattuta, Senior Class President.

It is clear that the new venue is having a positive impact on the people that are planning on going, especially for the people that are going for their second time. Whether it’s hanging out with all your friends, being with your date, or enjoying the music and the good environment, prom seems like it will be a great night.