College Non-Admission

College Non-Admission

Many bright students don’t get accepted into the college of their choice. UCLA’s Anderson School of Management said they have rejected 52 MBA applicants in the school.

Over 100 colleges are now quite selective who they let in their school. USF rejected the student’s petition after less than 15 minutes of the discussion. Elite colleges turned away up to 95% of their applicants, most of which are adequate students who belong in these schools. Some students say that it’s really hard and stressful to get into the best university they can. Admissions directors at these schools say that most their students get rejected because they can only take so many and some are better than others.

Colleges are looking for certain qualities in a student and those who lack them simply won’t be accepted, even if they’re the brightest student in the country. A certain elitism hangs around Ivy League schools, especially when it comes to their acceptance “policies”, as there certainly is more than just a GPA and SAT requirement to get in. These schools don’t want anybody but the best, with lots of colleges across the nation mimicking their behavior to some degree, as to keep their schools as highly regarded as possible. Beyond the elitism there also is a sense of competition between colleges to see who is the more “elite”, almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hopefully in coming years we will be able to see better acceptance rates into these colleges and look forward into a future where the everyday man’s children can comfortably be accepted into any college given the opportunity to.

FSA Connection Questions

1. In the article, the author said what about non admission?
  2. In the piece, the word “admissions” means what?
  3. The author seems to offer what main idea about admissions?
  4. Select the best 2 sentences from the story that support the idea of the story?
  5. What is the connotation of the word “Colleges” in the story?