Skills that Pay the Bills

Bryce Colee, Staff Writer

Being a high school student is a tough gig and having a job as well can be quite time consuming and can make a student’s life very stressful.

Julian Rucker, 12, works three days a week at the West Meadows Community Club. “It’s not stressful but time management is a big complication.”

“I only work on weekends so it’s not a struggle,” said Kush Patel, 12, who works at Dunkin’ Donuts. “I don’t work during the week because it would be too much work and too stressful.”

JD Flahart, Junior, spends his weekends at Publix. “I stopped working during weekdays, balancing homework and a job is way harder than I expected. I can barely do my homework with all the free time I have now.”

Some students feel that working during the school week isn’t as much of an issue as others.

“I don’t think it’s that stressful to work during the week, it just sucks since it’s basically giving up your freedom,” said Junior Ben Pickard who works at Cappy’s Pizza. When asked if he recommends having a job while being a student he said “heck yes!”

All in all, while some students believe that balancing a job and school could be a possible struggle, the majority would agree that having spendable money in high school is worth it.