Raise the Flags

Senior Katie Moulton throws a pass at the Advent Health Training Center during a preseason football game. Photo By: Cady Studios

Sophia Malone, Staff Writer

As the winter sports season comes to a close. The girls of Freedom flag football are hard at work
running drills, learning plays, and conditioning. These girls are working for a successful and fun
2023 spring season.
With the final roster being made, the girls have a newfound sense of relief and excitement.
Tryouts for any sport can be incredibly stressful, especially for a very detail and skill-oriented
sport like flag football.
However, a couple returners didn’t have any doubts about their skills, and ability to make the
team.
“I wasn’t particularly nervous about making the team and I was pretty confident in my skills,”
Kennedee Campbell (10) said.
Many returners believe that this season is very different to the last. The girls have just gained a
new coach, Eric Galante, that is ready to take on whatever challenges the impending season throws at him.
While some girls are excited for a change, other girls miss how it was last year. Having a change
in your coach a year into your high school career can be hard.
“It’s diffidently way different than last year because it’s a whole new group of people, a new
coach, and a lot of our seniors left. But it’s still really fun and I love being around the other girls,”
Campbell said.
Freedom’s varsity team recently took on the Buccaneers pre-season game at the Advent Health Training Center. They came home with 1 win and new skills to take into this impending season.
While many elements of the team differ from this to last year, Freedom flag football is ready to
tackle this season and pull some wins for the school.