Freedom’s Marching Patriots

One of the largest groups on campus, Freedom’s band boasts a diverse set of students. The marching band alone has around 85 members, not to mention the concert band, jazz band, and color guard.

The marching band performs at both home and away football games, pep rallies, band festivals, parades, and concerts. This year’s halftime show, “Dreams” has been performed at each football game.

Band director Michael Barrineau explained the theme when he said, “It’s supposed to be a journey of what happens to your brain when you’re asleep.” The songs all relate to this topic; the set includes “Journey to the Center of the Mind,” Avicii’s “Wake Me Up,” “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,” and Aerosmith’s “Dream On.”

The band attends multiple annual competitions, competing with other high schools for awards and accolades. Among Hillsborough County, the Marching Patriots are a mid-size band, but that does not hamper the results of their hard work.

On the band’s performance at these events, which include the MPA, or Music Performance Assessment, Barrineau said, “The last 3 years, we’ve done very well.”

The band strives for constant improvement, which calls for hours of practice. During marching season, it can get to as much as six days a week for some students.

“We have to work really hard. If we didn’t practice as much as we did, to build endurance, a lot of us would drop out,” said Chris Miklaszewski, a sophomore on drum line.

This also has the effect of encouraging close relationships. Through band, students can meet others from different backgrounds and grade levels as well as get exposure to a variety of talents and interests.

“I’ve made a lot more friends. It’s like a big family,” said freshman Valentina Sarria.

On top of fostering musical talent and providing a creative outlet, band allows students of any type to be welcomed into a close community.

“We always have each other’s backs. Especially at school, that’s a nice thing to have. We’re a tight knit group,” said senior Rose Leon.

Sophomore Ethan Derby put it well when illustrating the commitment many of the band members exhibit when he stated, “Band is life.”