• September 17RIVALRY WEEK! Freedom plays at Wharton, Friday @ 7:30

Girls soccer prepares for an exciting season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ana Lamlein, Staff Writer

The varsity girls soccer tryouts are coming up on October 22, however the team has been preparing for a month already. With four new captains, and an expected large turnout for try outs, this might be their most successful year yet.

Senior captains, Kelsey Skendziel, Bethany Green, Alana Salgado, and Alice Bravo have already been working to make the team stronger. The girls have dedicated up to five days a week to leading conditioning for the season.

“We’ve been working with each other and Coach Demik a lot,” Bravo said. “The conditioning has really improved our overall stamina and given us an idea of how the season will be.”

Last year, the team had 25 girls tryout. However, this year it’s estimated that number will almost double, with up to 45 perspective players.

“With so many girls trying out, it’s important to see who’s showing up to conditioning and ready to join the team,” Green explained.

Many of the girls have played club soccer since elementary and middle school, so they’re used to this rigorous training. As the club season is just winding down, their school season is picking up.

“We expect our team to be good year,” Salgado said. “We’re looking forward to beating Sickles and Wharton this year.”