• September 17RIVALRY WEEK! Freedom plays at Wharton, Friday @ 7:30

The Great Gaffney

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Great Gaffney

Evan Castro, Staff Writer

Being the new kid on the team can difficult to deal with, but for Senior Matthew Gaffney, this issue is an easy one to handle. Gaffney recently transferred from Jefferson High where he played baseball for three years.

“Being with the new team, I feel comfortable because I know some of the players from [Liberty] middle school,” said Gaffney.

Gaffney came to Freedom because for convenience.

“I have a lot more friends here and live closer to the school, so it was just easier,” the senior explained.

“Being at Freedom, I’ve noticed that the style of play is different. It’s a lot less tense here. I can play with more freedom compared to Jefferson’s style of play,” Gaffney noted.

He passed tryouts and made it on the team. Gaffney plays a multitude of positions all over the field.

“I play third base, pitcher, and catcher, or wherever the coach needs me,” said Gaffney.

Gaffney’s hopes for the team to get to districts.

He share, “My expectations for the season are to play good ball consistently and make and win districts,” he shared. “In order to win districts, we need to have team chemistry, which is what we have so far.”

The team recently played a pre-season game against East Bay High and won 7-3 at Armwood High. Gaffney pitched, agreeing that the boys played well together.

“Thinking about the game, knowing everything before it happens is the reason I love to play baseball,” explained Gaffney.

Evan Castro, Staff Writer

Evan Castro is a senior at Freedom High School. He loves to play and sing music whenever he can, whether it’s live in front of a crowd or with a few...