Meet Mr. McCoy

Jacob Ishak, Staff Writer

Mr. Derrick McCoy graduated from Freedom High School in 2006 and has found himself back on campus, this time as a teacher. McCoy serves FHS as TV production director, history teacher, and wrestling coach.

Before he started teaching, McCoy tried his hand at many things. He really enjoys being active, so he worked as a personal trainer at one of the local gyms where he focused on youth sports. McCoy also spent some time in the business world.

“I worked on logistic sales – it’s like business to business sales,” McCoy expanded on his business experience.

He enjoyed what he was doing, but McCoy was drawn to teaching and coaching at Freedom. One of the biggest attractions for him was the lifestyle that he could live.

“I like the lifestyle of teaching. I get to have a family and some free time on my hands,” McCoy said. “I wasn’t motivated by money, but by the personal wealth and satisfaction that comes with helping others.”

As a student at Freedom, McCoy found success in the wrestling scene.

McCoy knows that wrestling is a small community, so whenever he coaches/wrestles he feels like he is giving back to the community. He was not only a successful wrestler, but also an MMA cage fighter while attending FHS.

“I was the first FHS wrestler to wrestle in the state tournament and I also won a state championship in Brazilian jujitsu,” McCoy said.

Overall, Mr. McCoy really enjoys educating and loves to help kids further their knowledge. However, his favorite part of being at FHS is the ability to coach.

“I see myself more as a coach,” McCoy claimed.

At Freedom once again, McCoy is really enjoying his time as a coach and a teacher because of how personally rewarding he finds it. So if you see him in the halls don’t be shy and say hi.