New Computer Class Boots Up

Catherine Weng, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

AP Computer Science Principles is a brand new course offered for the first time at Freedom this year. Not to be confused with Computer Science A, this course focuses on broader principles of computers rather than strictly coding. Mr. Nolan is currently responsible for teaching it.

“Look at the age we live in today – everything is a computer. People need to know the basics of what the computer can do for you and what you can do with it,” explained Nolan.

Students cite the teacher selection, the expectations of course content, and possible future applications as main reasons for taking the class.

“I like Mr. Nolan and it seemed easy. I think that computers are interesting and if it turns out I’m good at it, then getting a job in that wouldn’t be too bad. So far, the class has been interesting but not what I expected,” said Senior Sam Allen.

“The class seemed really interesting and beneficial, especially since the digital realm is so integrated into our society today. Also, I’ve never been in any of Mr. Nolan’s classes, so I was eager to get to know another one of FHS’ famous teachers. So far, the class has been pretty fun – I’m learning more about technology everyday,” stated Lauren Doebele, Junior.

The demand for the class was even larger than expected. The number of students requesting the course could have filled five classes, though the availability of open computer labs set the limit at three periods.

“AP Computer Science has been really fun so far and learning the basic knowledge of computers as been helpful, too,” said Junior Ashley Edwards, “I took the class because it seemed interesting, plus I knew Nolan was a good teacher.”

The course focuses on 7 big ideas, including abstraction, the internet, algorithms, programming, and data and information.

“It’s more or less the introductory AP computer course for people to get friendly with a computer. Instead of doing lines of code, you’re thinking more conceptually,” stated Nolan.

As technology becomes more integral to everyday life, taking the initiative to learn the basics of a computer becomes an increasingly smart choice.

“You should know how your car works before you drive it, right? You don’t know all the workings of the internal combustion engine, but you know ‘I turn the car on, you push the gas, and it goes’. It’s the same idea with a computer,” noted Nolan.