How Young is Too Young?

Ally Dammer, Staff Writer

Social Media is a way for people to meet new people, try new things, and just have fun in general. Many of us may know about the dark side of social media.

The trolls, bullies, and scams. Most people can tell the difference between good and bad when it comes to stuff like this. It’s the younger kids we have to worry about.

It’s so easy to be tricked into doing something you shouldn’t be doing online. It’s more common for the younger audience to fall into these traps though. How will they know what’s real and what’s fake?

I got my first social media platform when I turned 13. Before my parents allowed me to download it, I had to listen to their lecture. Yes it was boring, but it did help. So how young is too young for social media?

I believe kids should be allowed social media in middle school. It will help them prepare for what they might deal with and see in high school.

The parents of these children should be monitoring them but I think it’s a good way for children to see what the real world is like on their own.

Not only will they be able to prepare themselves for the bad things, but they might also find new hobbies and interests. This will prevent them from walking around high school having no hobbies and no plans for their future.

In the end, social media should be monitored for younger kids. They still need to be exposed to the real world.