Why students should invest their time into learning technology

Ishitha Panguluri, Staff Writer

Everything we use is an advancement of technology, math, engineering and science. We are
living in a generation of new inventions and gadgets that help better our life by providing an
efficient pathway to build the generations that follow us. With Amazon employing thousands to
work in customer service, social media management, and web development, they are
enhancing their workplace more broadly.

As teenagers, we should invest our time into learning technology, and STEM related concepts
because, soon, we will be looking into future jobs. The tech way is the most secure in today’s
industry because of how in-demand the skill and jobs in tech are in our society. School children
should get exposed to such careers in tech at an early age. At first glance, it may not seem like
an important, or satisfying job. After all, you are sitting in front of your computer for hours right?
No, this is wrong because of how the duties change depending on what tech career you are in.
There is engineering, computal biology, web development, and working with robots… Really,
the list is endless.

“I am here to prepare students, and the culture of these students play a part in creating
awareness of these programs that are available at Freedom,” said Mrs.Grigoropoulos, Chemistry teacher. “Campaigning in school board meetings can be the first action to take if creating more awareness about certain courses is the goal.”

Within the tech community, few are women. I, for one, have grown up to believe that as a young
woman, I should leave the technology to men. This stigma is still going around today, and
though we see many influential women overcome it, some female students are not thinking this
is ideal. This may be due to the fact that the courses offered at school may be very minimal in
knowledge about how influential technology is today, and leave the students to think that it is a
very novice career choice.

Adding courses that will bring more awareness in terms of future planning and career, can truly
help a student or two in deciding what they want to do for a living.
“We lost the Marine Science class at Freedom,” Said Grigoropoulos. “We have such a large
number of students in each class, because of how some classes have been cut, these include
the Biotechnology related classes.”

Introducing more girls into computer science, or any STEM related field is the first step, and a
big leap to changing educational awareness in the world of tech in the 20th century.

“I know that last year, USF’s PharmTech program initiated a meet-and-greet style of virtual
meeting, so more students can be exposed to this field, and what it brings.”