Mental lag after winter break

Mental lag after winter break

Cuyler Bliss, Staff Writer

Upon returning from the nice two week vacation of the winter holiday time, many teachers start
prepping for the return of their students. But with the return is the slow metal state of all the
students.

Every student across the country enjoys those two weeks, they don’t stress or do any work, they take
the time to enjoy the downtime. But students don’t consider how when they return the third week
education is thrown into their faces full force. Teachers expect them to snap out of their vacay mode
and be ready to learn on day one.

“It’s not that I wasn’t prepared. I think I just forgot how much I was doing all the time, so when life
went back to normal, it was like a slap in the face on how busy I am all the time,” Carmen Canals, 12,
said.

In many cases and students that I spoke to, several students felt very alarmed, and honestly amazed,
at how they put up with everything for so long, just to realize it’s too much. Some students can not be
the type where they go to school for seven hours then cram in sports or any extra outside activities
because they can’t handle it.

“I have been regretting return to school since the first week. School was so taxing on my mind and I
overworked to maintain perfect standards. I was somewhat hopeful that teachers would be slow to
put us back in; but as shown by my workload and homework these past two nights nothing changed,”
Amari James, 11, said.

School is a very heavy burden for many. It can bring out the best or worst in people and you’ll never
notice unless you step in their shoes.

“School is just draining mentally. Keeping up with the pace is hard for many, me included,” Olivia
Becht, 11, said.