A big shift in AP exams

Katie Matthews, Editor in Chief

AP exams are going to be different this year. Since the spread of the Corona virus and the closing of high schools across the nation, AP exams will no longer be taken at school. College board has decided to transition to an online version.
The exams have been shortened to 1-2 free response questions, compared to previously having multiple sections consisting of: multiple choice, data-based questions, and free response questions. Students are now limited in ways to show their knowledge, given only a few questions to express what they have learned in a years’ worth of work.
This new version is taken online and at home, which arises the question of cheating. College Board did state that the exam is open book and they are not concerned about students looking up the answers because of the time limit, but
what about face time calls and texting. Students have the option to become creative with ways of getting the answers that college board might not expect.
Some colleges have considered not accepting AP credits this year because of the conditions the testing is under. Most students take these classes to get the college credits and it is frustrating that there is a possibility the credits will not count.
College Board is doing their best to work around this unfortunate situation. They have offered countless resources to help prepare and restructured the exam to give everyone the opportunity to take the test. There is also a makeup date in June if there are any technical issues or other problems. They have all this information and
more on their website.
Even though the circumstances are not the best students are still given the option to take their AP exams, we have to adapt with the changing situation.