March Madness continues

Anna Lamlein, Editor

The tables were turned this month in classrooms when teachers challenged administration to teach their classes.  Mrs. Guida [Livingston] and Mrs. Suidduit proposed this idea to Mr. Stephenson, who was immediately on board with the ‘draft’.

Teachers were able to earn tickets throughout the month for a variety of things, such as sitting in the front row during staff meetings. These tickets could then be used to choose which administrator the teacher wanted to substitute into their class for one day.

Mr. Smith, Assistant Principal for Curriculum, was chosen to teach in Mr. Van Hezewyk’s Social Studies class. However, the lesson plan was left up to him. Mr. Smith opted for a math lesson, which was more in his area of expertise.

Although Mr. Smith hasn’t taught in nearly 17 years, he explained, “I wasn’t nervous about teaching the lesson. Teaching is how we all started. I was more nervous about interacting with students I wasn’t familiar with. It’s like the first day of school.”

The teachers, nonetheless, enjoyed watching administration experience being in a classroom setting again. English teacher, Mrs. Grimm, was glad to have Principal Mr. Stephenson take her place.

“It was nice to kick back and watch a leading educator of our school interact with the students,” Grimm continued, “Administrators deal with the consequences, while teachers are focused on educating and managing the classroom.”

Many teachers felt this switch up was a good reminder of the struggles teachers face on a daily basis, which is sometimes forgotten by administration. Mr. Channels teaches a class commonly known as Teacher’s Assisting on campus. Mr. Fuhrmeister, Freedoms on site technology resource technician, was drafted into Mr. Channels’ class.

Mr. Channels described, “A problem admin doesn’t always realize is the workload teachers have. In my case, I have seven periods along with paperwork, emails, and home life to manage. Mr. Furhmeister was a little nervous, but the students were very attentive and he is even coming back after spring break to teach a few more lessons.”

The experience was beneficial for both sides, and strengthened the connection between teachers and administrators. Students were also able to enjoy seeing their administrators in a different light.

“It was definitely eye opening. You have to plan a lot as a teacher, it gives us a different perspective,” Stephenson, was hasn’t taught in thirteen years, admitted, “It’s fun to get back into the environment of teaching.”

Mr. Smith teaches to students in Mr. Van Hezewyk’s class