• August 289/27/17- Senior Picture Retakes! See Mr. Sidwell in Room 103 for more info!

• August 289/28/17: FHS Football is playing Wharton @Home @7:30!

A Bloody Good Donation

Aidan Boggs, Staff Writer

The blood drive made its most recent visit to Freedom on Tuesday, September 13th.  For those who are unaware the organization, One Blood makes a trip to Freedom High School at least twice a year to collect blood from those willing to donate. Though some students see it as a simple way to escape the classroom, it’s a legitimate cause that many students are willing to participate in.

This year was possibly one of the largest donations One Blood has received from Freedom. Over 134 students were up to the challenge and conquered their fears to donate a pint of blood. The process of donating blood is very thorough. Students must receive parental approval, fill out information sheets, and secure a time slot.

Each student has a different reason for donating to the cause. While some reasons are more personal, others simply do it for the benefit of others.

“It’s all about giving back to the community,” said Senior Lance Miller, who has been donating since he became eligible. This year, he chose to not only donate but help run the stand and direct the student body.

So why Freedom? The blood drive, or more specifically, One Blood makes yearly visits due to Freedom’s consistent donations which keep them coming back.

The best part of One Blood is the fact that they specialize in transporting blood to multiple locations. The blood is sent anywhere that needs it and is not limited to only specific hospitals.

In addition to blood donation, students now have the option of donating blood plasma. People in need of plasma often have some sort of liver disease, bone marrow transplants, or even severe burns

“Not many people are as willing to donate plasma as they are for blood. But a lot of people are in serious need of it and I want to help in any way I can,” said Senior Josh O’Clair, who donated plasma.

The plasma donation process is a bit more complicated than average blood donation.

“First they take out some of your blood. Next in some kind of machine they remove the plasma and finally return the plasma less blood only to repeat the process,” mentioned O’Clair.

The One Blood drive will be returning November 17th this year. Don’t forget to sign up and give a little back to your community!