Advice I Wish I Had Freshman Year

Kalee VanDeBoe, Advertisement Editor

High school can either be the best or worst four years of your life depending on how you chose to make it. As an incoming senior celebrating my last year at Freedom High School, I’ve learned a lot and have grown a lot as well. Here are twenty-five tips I wish I had as a freshman to make my past few years a little bit easier than they were.

1. Bring a portable phone charger.

2. Bring headphones.

3. Focus more on school work rather than the latest gossip.

4. You most likely won’t be friends with the same people you are now after high school.

5. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

6. At least have one pen and a notebook so you don’t have to be the one kid always asking for supplies.

7. DO NOT OPENLY TAKE OUT YOUR GUM (unless you want people to swarm over you and ask you for some).

8. Try to get as much work done as possible so you don’t have to do it later.

9. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!

10. Focusing on people that don’t like you and mistakes you’ve made isn’t going to help you move past things.

11. Bring your charger!

12. Keep at least a dollar for the vending machine.

13. Try to get as much sleep as possible (trust me your bed will become your best friend).

14. A positive attitude is key to not only a successful school year, but life as well.

15. You can’t please everyone so please yourself.

16. Worry about yourself instead of someone else.

17. Always put yourself in someone else’s shoes.

18. Taking revenge and holding grudges will get you absolutely nowhere.

19. Mistakes are OKAY, no one is perfect. It’s how you chose to move from the mistakes and grow from them that counts.

20. BRING A CHARGER!

21. I know it can sometimes be hard but give your teachers a break. Imagine dealing with hundreds of teenagers like yourself. Sounds awesome? Didn’t think so.

22. Learn to love yourself first before jumping into a relationship with someone else.

23. It’s easy to not come to school, but not so easy trying to make up the work.

24. Don’t change yourself and your morals because you want to fit in.

25. Don’t do something to someone you wouldn’t want done to you.