Music Then vs Now: Nostalgia flooding back into our everyday playlists

Ishitha Panguluri, Staff Writer

Now with old trends coming back as new trends, music from 1900’s has also made a major comeback into our radio stations, social media platforms, and other trends occurring today.

Songs from our favorite bands like Queen, AC/DC, and even the Jackson 5 are rocketing back into our daily mix of playlists. I asked our students what their go-to playlist consists of and almost 87% said 1950’s indies-rock and roll. Though a few had ample of Olivia Rodrigo’s hit singles, controversy over the past week emerged on how Rodrigo’s song “Good 4 U” is almost a carbon copy of chords to Paramore’s “Misery Business”. Truly, it is like our childhood songs masking in rhythm into the pop-songs we hear on stations like iHeartRadio, or simply on YouTube’s trending music.

Believe it or not, the debate between pop and rock has been going on for years now, according to the Wall Street Journal, “Pop music has become less popular during the pandemic. Listeners are tuning in to old favorites from the likes of Bob Marley, Dixie Chicks and Bill Withers—the singer of “Lean On Me.” Just like how vintage clothes, and antique collectables are seamlessly claiming their place on the things-a-Gen-Z-teenager-likes list, research shows that the main reason for this comeback was the diffusion through social media.

“I remember hearing songs that my dad listened to when he was a teenager,” Emma Carter said, explaining the resurfacing of old songs on TikTok and Instagram, “It’s crazy how much something that seems years old can return to make impact to other young people like me.”

Some of our students indulge in R&B and Rap songs featuring some popular artists today like Drake, Travis Scott, and many more from that genre. Even though the music we call “new” is what is shaping this generation a pattern was found among all of these songs that become a one-hit sensation: they all use similar instrumentals, beats and rhythms that match up to what was released back in 1987. So really, is the star of the show the Pop music we hear on the “hit” radios, or are they a mere mimicry of our traditional classics like Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, or even Dolly Parton?