The Classroom Dilemma

The Classroom Dilemma

Katie Matthews, Editor in Chief

Throughout my four years of high school, I can confidently say that I have been in a total of two classrooms where the teachers method of teaching was not worksheets and PowerPoints. Students are expected to learn the material and ace their tests, while getting little to no guidance from their teachers.

It feels impossible to learn anything when your half asleep copying words down on a piece of paper and when you get hours worth of homework with all the answers on quizlet.

It becomes draining after hours of the same thing in every class, teachers are lacking enthusiasm and creativity in their lesson plans that directly effects their students. Nearly every class I have been in has given unnecessary amounts of busy work, it is beyond frustrating getting worksheet after worksheet, not learning a single thing.

When teachers show passion in their work, when they truly love what they are teaching, the impact on their students overwhelming. I’ve seen it first hand that when teachers show enthusiasm more students begin pay attention and when the lessons are fun students tend to remember them more.

Now I know that teachers face the same problems with their students, they have classes filled of unmotivated and tired teenagers. It may seem impossible to get anything through their heads but I promise it is not.

The students who fall asleep in the classes filled with taking notes are the same ones eagerly raising their hand when a teacher puts effort into their lessons.

When educators teach with passion students will learn with passion.