The Science Behind Violence

Research Seemingly Split on Video Game Violence

The Science Behind Violence

Since the 1980’s society has debated whether violent video games have an effect on kids and teens. In this generation, the young population spends most of their time in front of a computer, television, or cell phone screen. Many people blame video game violence for influencing the actions of youths today. Much research has been done in trying to prove whether or not this is true; some studies show a connection and others do not.

According to CNN about 90 percent of the U.S. kids ages 8 to 16 play video games. With the new ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ being released there was a lot of commotion about purchasing it.

“Grand Theft Auto is thrilling and there are no consequences,” freshman Blake Hufstetler said.

However, junior, Edward Cortez, has a different opinion on the video game.

“I don’t play Grand Theft Auto for the violence; I just like the plot of the game,” Cortez said.

‘Grand Theft Auto’ is a popular violent video game because it is the most realistic according to some students at Freedom.

“Grand Theft Auto is realistic unlike a lot of other action or violent games,” freshman Jack Edwards said. “I can do things in the game and get away with it, meanwhile, there are serious consequences in real life.”

It seems as though, violence in video games, especially ‘Grand Theft Auto’ is a way of playing with an alternate life.

Many scientists have argued that violent video games can have a calming effect. Some Freedom students and teachers shared their view on whether this is true or not.

“It depends on the game you play. Some make you feel calm and some video games bring out aggressive behavior,” senior Austin Medina said.

“Violent video games desensitize people. I think it turns violence into entertainment. My cousin plays Grand Theft Auto and Halo. He was in the military and I think playing those games makes him feel like he’s reliving those times. I think in some way it calms him, but I believe there are better ways to calm down for example sports,” English teacher Toni Guida, said.

According to some students violent video games are much enjoyed because students think there are no severe consequences while playing them.

“You can get away with killing people in a video game,” freshman Lance Miller said.

Some teachers think students who play violent video games are struggling socially and academically at school.

“Students in my classes, who play violent video games act out, don’t usually do their work and are combative. I think kids who play video games with violent content are more able to lose their temper easily; they don’t understand it’s just a video game,” English teacher Joseph Rober said.

Though some statistics prove otherwise, perhaps there isn’t as much of a link between violence and video games as some may think.