FHS Tennis Champs

Genevieve Clark, Staff Writer

The District Championship for the Freedom High School tennis team took place April 16 and 17 at Hillsborough Community College. The top five players from the girls’ and boys’ teams played multiple matches and qualified for finals against King, Leto, and Gaither.

Both teams went undefeated in their dual matches for most of the season, only losing one near the end. Each team finished off the year with a score of 9-1 in their respective games.

Julianna Gibson, 10, won all of her matches and became the Overall District Champion. Gibson is heading to Regionals with her doubles partner Zoe Ruszin, 10, along with other teammates and plans on making it to the State Championship for her second year.

Gibson stated, “I think I have a good shot at making it to States. I have the best teammates to help me play my best game.”

Akim Zekri, 10, became a District Champion for the boys and is excited to play at Regionals with doubles partner Jared Klay, 12.

Klay stated, “Akim is an excellent player and a good partner. I think we both have a chance of making States.”

Multiple matches went into long and painful tie breakers, yet the Freedom players pulled through.

The girls’ team placed second against King High School and the boys’ team came out on top winning first place for the third year in a row.

Every player from each of the teams will move on to Regionals on Tuesday, April 24.