Senior Year May Break Your Wallet

Matt Bogdanoff, Staff Writer

Many high school students consider their senior year to be the best part of their high school career. The toughest of the work load is past, the exciting prospect of college is approaching quickly and there are numerous senior perks and exclusive events to look forward to.

All of these activities sound fun, but they come with an expensive price tag.

Purchasing a parking pass, necessary for the many seniors that drive, starts at $20. An additional $20 will buy a senior spot, which sports a closer location to the school and  hand-painted names or the opportunity to customize the parking bumper.

For students planning to attend school dances, tickets to homecoming will cost $40 and prom tickets are double that. Grad Bash, one of the most high anticipated events of senior year, is $130 to attend. This includes the tickets to Universal Studios for the night and transportation costs.

When graduation day rolls around, no student should stroll accross the stage in street clothes – a cap and gown is needed, which costs a pricey $100. In addition, a yearbook to commemorate the year of special memories has a price tag of $90.

Applying to college is an exciting time, but it can also be stressful. One variable that won’t help calm that stress is the price of applying, which can vary from $30 to $90 for each university application.

As an athlete, representing Freedom is an honor as well as an investment. For the individual sports such as track or swimming, the cost for equipment is minor, but team sports equipment can range from $200 to as much as $400 depending on the sport.

In total, the standard perks and events like Grad Bash, Prom, Homecoming and graduation will have students spending roughly $400. Including additional entities such as a yearbook, sports and senior class apparel about another $400.

While senior year may be the best time of high school, spending anywhere from $400 to $800 is quite a hefty price. The funds allow the school to purchase food, drink, venue renting, decoration, transportation and other entertainment essentials, depending on the event.

Unfortunately, the reality is many students can’t afford such a steep price and are left excluded from the fun that all seniors should be able to enjoy.