Is Driver’s Ed Really better?

Karli DelGiudice, Staff Writer

Most parents believe taking a Driver’s Ed class online or at school better teaches their children to learn how to drive. But do teens really think it’s better?

With a parent-taught driver’s education, families can forgo dues for driving school. Instead, students complete the amount of hours  required drive with their parents for free.

“I prepared driving with my parents because I was closer with them than I would be with a driver instructor. I didn’t have to pay any fees, and they also taught me the ways they learned how drive,” said Luis Lopez, 11. 

In a Driver’s Ed class at school, students only practice driving in the school parking lot and parking in between cones, which is not as preparative for real world conditions.

“I liked practicing with my parents better than at school because my parents let me drive on the real road and [I] get to experience things that can happen and drive in bad weather, so that it can help me for when I’m driving alone,” explained Josh Lyons,10.

Benefits from taking Driver’s Ed at school include taking the final driving test for your license. Students complete and pass the test entirely at school.

“I liked how I could go into the DMV and only take my picture and leave. All I had to do was show them I have completed it at school,” stated Megan Lippus, 10.

While taking Driver’s Ed, students will understand road signs and the consequences of driving under the influence, which teaches them to drive sober.

“By taking Driver’s Ed, it has helped me learn how to drive safely in different road conditions and learn the different road signs so I can be a safe driver,” noted Philip Foo, 10.