Educational Fashion

Educational+Fashion

Since the opening of Freedom in 2001, the topic of graduation gowns has been popular among students and faculty. The debate between gown color, and honors indicators is ongoing. Originally, graduation gowns were navy blue with an honors indicator of three chevrons on the gown sleeve. By the time the class of 2013 graduated, the gowns changed to solid colors, with white to differentiate the honors students. The reasoning for individual preference of gowns varies among the Freedom population. Some view the one color gowns as a symbol of unity.

“We came in together, and we go out together,” assistant principal Chad Pears said.

Using previous experience tends to be a deciding factor in gown color preference. Last year’s graduating students wore solid, but separate colored gowns as they walked across the stage at the Florida State Fairgrounds.

“It was my first time attending and it was sophisticated,” college and career counselor Jamie Dowd said.

This year’s graduating seniors are using uniqueness as reasoning for preference of different colored gowns.

“I believe that if kids did their work to earn a high GPA they should be awarded for it,” senior Jasmin White said.

However, some feel that the different colors are too much of an indicator.

“I would rather have the chevrons as a reward for the honor kids, because I think that it’s enough for them,” sophomore Jeremy Carrion said.

When it comes down to making a final choice for gown colors to be worn by the graduating class of 2014, and those to follow, Principal Dave Sheppard has the final vote. Freedom will most likely revert back to the navy blue gowns.

“We need one color to unify us all as one,” Sheppard said.