• January 29Get involved at the elective fair both lunches this Wednesday, Jan 31.

• January 29Don't miss the annual Multicultural Fest on Feb. 1!

• January 29FHS Cheer placed 3rd at Regionals Saturday, Jan. 27. States to follow this weekend!

Seniors Say Farewell to Final Soccer Season

Left to Right: Dakota Tilia, Camilo Bravo, Mark Mouhawasse, Jason Cunningham, Ali Abdullabas, Kwame Amankwah, Evan Castro, Jon Hordeyczuk, Matthew Daniello

Danny Wood, Staff Writer

Thursday night marked the final regular season game for the Freedom boys’ soccer team, bringing a conclusion to the district-bound season. But more significantly, it marked the final high school game for these senior athletes.

Freedom played a dominant game against Armwood, having possession of the ball for the majority of the game and not allowing the opponents to score a single goal. The Patriots ended their season with a 2-0 victory with goals scored by seniors Jon Hordeyczuk and Jason Cunningham, and an opportunity to attend districts.

“Going into districts, we are going to give it 110%,” Mark Mouhawasse, 12, exclaimed. “If we don’t perform well, then at least we have a fun and successful season to look back on.”

For many athletes, senior year represents the end of participation in sporting events. However, many of these boys have created a lifelong bond with the game.

“In college my main focus will be on education,” said Kwame Amankwah, 12. “But I will most likely play in an intramural or club league because of my love for the game.”

Many players had mixed emotions about the final game of their high school soccer career, feeling both the happiness and reminiscence of a successful year with their fellow players and friends, as well as the despair regarding the end of a sport that has provided them with so many great memories.

“It was a very emotional game, knowing it would be my last time representing the Patriots on the field,” Camilo Bravo, 12, said. “But I’m glad we managed to persevere and finish the season strong with a dub.”