Don’t Go to Hoco

From left to right: Drew Meyerson, Kwame Amankwah, Evan Castro. 2015

Evan Castro, Staff Writer

Homecoming, in the eyes of many students at Freedom High School, is a time when students can dress up formally, enjoy a high-priced dinner, and dance within a confined space surrounded by sweaty strangers on the dance floor, all while listening to the top musical hits of the week.  

However, in the eyes of those who don’t plan on spending their life savings on a below average dinner, doing activities they aren’t morally or legally supposed to do, homecoming may not be the most exciting school event to be a part of.  

Being part of the crowd who doesn’t enjoy being shoved around in the middle of a dance floor and listening to the ‘best hits of the week,’, I would pass on homecoming. To me, homecoming is just another excuse for the stereotypical ‘popular kid’ to take a week’s worth of their parent’s money, and then lie to them about where they are and what they’re doing. Not only that, but the dance itself becomes this hot, thick aired atmosphere, with a sea of sweaty students who mosh, bump and grind with each other. Exciting stuff! 

There are exceptions to this stereotype. There are kids who use their own hard-earned money and then go home safely without doing anything to get into trouble, but these are the kids who feel left out or uncomfortable going to the after-parties that are held at the ‘popular kid’s’ house.  

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, if you aren’t harming your morality in any way shape or form, homecoming can’t be fun. I know this because my sophomore year after homecoming I went with a group of friends to take part in legal activities. Knowing what all the ‘popular’ kids were doing, this bothered all of us and affected the time we were having in that moment. We weren’t having any fun and we all wanted to go home. 

On a more positive note, I believe it is possible to still have a successful night if you go with a group of close friends who are willing to spend the evening at a wonderful dinner, dance with you at the spectacular event held by Freedom High School, and have a small get together after the dance without losing the trust of your parents and potentially your freedom as a minor.