Remembering Homecoming

Bottom (Left to Right): Matthew Koller, Jared Klay, Daniel Wood, Kellen Huntley, Patrick Cheuvront, Tyler Martin, Evan Freedman, Garret Mulder, Kwame Amankwah, Eric Ho Top (Left to Right): Kursat Cakar, Brian Nguyen, Camilo Bravo, Mark Mouhawasse, Matthew Daniello, Andrew Wise, Drew Meyerson

Aidan Carney, Staff Writer

Freedom High’s 2017 Homecoming was a night to remember. For seniors, the night came with a hint of sadness, since this it be their last school dance besides Prom. Underclassmen had the opportunity to have fun without the worry future chances to attend another homecoming in high school.

“For me, it’s upsetting to know that I can’t go to another homecoming as a Freedom student,” Senior Alek Rojas stated. “I haven’t been to homecoming each year, but the times I attended the event, it was always a good time.”

Homecoming is more than just a dance. There are different events which allow the students to show school spirit and connect with their classmates, such as meeting for pictures or going out for dinner.

“I probably liked going to pictures at Compton Park more than I liked going to the actually dance,” Junior Jack Whinter said. “Pictures were cool because I got to get final memories with some of my senior friends.”

This year, planning the dance became a stressful situation for the Student Government Association (SGA) due to unexpected conditions halting planning and ticket sales.

“Due to Hurricane Irma, we in SGA had to rush to plan different aspects as well as trying to sell tickets, since a week[‘s] worth of selling tickets and planning was cancelled,” said Rojas, a member of SGA.

Many students enjoyed the dance because of the music and the energy in the crowd.

“The DJ played some good music and the crowd of students kept getting pretty hyped. It was really fun when mosh pits would start and everyone would go crazy,” Whinter said.

Although homecoming is over this year, students already anticipate the next one.

“I hope that homecoming is going to be the best one yet next year, especially since it’ll be my senior year,” Whinter added.