• September 18Homecoming this Saturday, Sept 23 7pm @TPepin Hospitality Centre! Tickets sold during lunch Tuesday through Friday for $40.

• September 18Homecoming Football Game this Friday, Sept 22! Home game against Sickles, 7:30pm

• August 289/27/17- Senior Picture Retakes! See Mr. Sidwell in Room 103 for more info!

Newspaper Searches for New Writers

Jacob Shuster, Staff Writer

The Revolution is the student-run newspaper at Freedom High School. Along with several Journalism classes and Yearbook, Newspaper has been taught by Mr. Sidwell since 2015. The newspaper is online, so any time a story is submitted, it can be published immediately to the website. An online newspaper also archives past stories for continued entertainment.

With many staff writers and editors graduating this year, the upcoming 2017-18 Newspaper class roster is looking for new talent.

“I have high expectations for next year,” said Senior Tommy Capobianco and Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper. “I want writers who will hit hard on school events. Chorus and band concerts, sporting events – whatever happens at school, it is the schools newspaper’s responsibility to cover it.”

The school is looking for students who are creative, social, and ready to write. The class is open to students of any grade. Benefits of being in newspaper include field trips, leadership roles, increased campus involvement, and journalism passes, which means free entry into school sports games. Applications are available for students looking for a fun elective that will also satisfy the Performing Arts requirement for graduation. Though not necessary, students considering a career in Journalism are highly welcomed.

“I’m considering Advertising for my major in college, which is in the School of Journalism at UF,” said Senior Tori Chin, News Editor/Public Relations.

Staff writers have the freedom to choose their own story topics, ranging from sports stories to student features to human interest stories. Sporting events are great to cover because it boosts attendance and the athletes’ confidence. A favorite topic of staff writers is the “Teacher Playlist,” where teachers share their top 10 favorite songs.

“I enjoyed writing about the things that I wanted to,” said Junior Drew Meyerson, a new member of Newspaper. “It was good as an experience and I look forward to working on the Newspaper staff next year.”

Applications are available in Room 204, located behind the school library. Applications are due Tuesday, April 25th. Interviews are scheduled for Friday the 28th.