• February 27FHS Lax takes on Wharton @ home @ 5 on Tuesday!

Why Ride With the Tide?

Aidan Boggs, Staff Writer

The University of Alabama is almost a nine hour drive from Tampa and out-of-state tuition is set at just over $40,000 a semester, so why on earth did I choose to further my education here, of all places?

Well it all began back in June when I first toured the university. My father and I drove half way across the country touring a handful of colleges, including Alabama.

When we first arrived in Tuscaloosa, where the University of Alabama is located, something about it said home to me. We drove around the city for a little bit before entering the campus. Although the town wasn’t very large, one aspect I loved was how everything on campus was Alabama themed. From restaurants bleeding crimson and white, to stores sporting all kinds of University apparel, I loved it. I wanted a town that supports the University before all else, and that’s exactly what Tuscaloosa is.

The tour of the university was better than anything I could have imagined. Beautiful architectural buildings, with a well-kept landscape, and at the heart of all off it, breath-taking Bryant-Denny Stadium. The stadium can hold over 100,000 people. That’s as much as the entire population at the university and the population of the city of Tuscaloosa. This must only enhance the excitement on those crisp, fall afternoons when the Tide takes the field.

The dormitories were another standout factor of the campus. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Florida dormitories so it was a nice surprise to see something new at Alabama. The dorms were offered either as suit style or traditional. Suite-style being 4 students to one dorm, all with separate bedrooms.

Lastly, was the sheer size of the campus. Everything at Alabama is larger than life. The stadium, the fraternities/sororities, the restaurants, everything is standout. As long as I could remember, I’ve always wanted to be apart to be a part of a big University, and Alabama is the place for me!