• September 18Homecoming this Saturday, Sept 23 7pm @TPepin Hospitality Centre! Tickets sold during lunch Tuesday through Friday for $40.

• September 18Homecoming Football Game this Friday, Sept 22! Home game against Sickles, 7:30pm

• August 289/27/17- Senior Picture Retakes! See Mr. Sidwell in Room 103 for more info!

It’s Time for Madness

Bryce Colee, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year again, the most entertaining month of college basketball, March Madness. For those who don’t know what March Madness is, it’s a tournament of the top 64 teams in college basketball, the winner being crowned the National Champions of college basketball.

Every year, top tier teams like the Kansas Jayhawks, Duke Blue Devils, and the Kentucky Wildcats make the tournament. There are also the underdogs, teams that rarely make the tournament but sometimes surprise, like the Jacksonville State Gamecocks and the Akron Zips. This year’s shocker, the Florida State Seminoles, hasn’t made the tournament since 2012, but this year, they are ranked 16 in the nation and are a number four seed in the tournament.

March Madness is entertaining for everyone who loves sports, even for those who don’t like basketball.

Senior Benton Lamlein said, “I never watch college basketball during the regular season, but when March hits, that’s all I watch on TV.”

Whether not a fan at all, or a fan of a team that didn’t make the tournament, people can still have a blast watching March Madness. Senior Nick Mitchell is a diehard NC State fan who unfortunately didn’t make the tournament this season.

“It pains me that my Wolfpack didn’t make the tournament, but that’s not going to stop me from making my own bracket and trying to watch all the games,” stated Mitchell.

No matter what team you like, everyone loves a good underdog and that’s what the tournament is all about. Senior Denzel Blue supports the Syracuse Orange, a team that makes the tournament almost every year, but he believes the real entertainment is when the team that’s projected to win gets knocked out by an underdog.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love Syracuse, but if they lost to a team that was expected to lose from the start I wouldn’t be too upset. It just makes me want to watch that team go even further,” explained Blue.

March Madness was originally created in Illinois and played amongst high school teams. It was supported by the Illinois High School Association and was later used by college teams. March Madness was made official in the NCAA in 1996.

March Madness may be for basketball, but it is very entertaining for all sport fanatics. People across the country create their own brackets and have a great time watching their teams go further in the tournament and take down the other teams that get in their way.