Freedom’s Own “Big Three”

Tommy Capobianco, Editor-in-Chief

On National Signing Day 2017, three of Freedom High School’s very own showed off their academic and athletic successes by officially committing to take their talents on to the next level. Girls basketball star Megan Clark (Tennessee Tech), football standout Kalijahe Spann (Warner University), and golf Phenom Tyler Bray (Maryville College) were FHS’ three premier athletes who signed.

Clark, who has been with the Freedom Girls Basketball Team all four years, has really enjoyed her time at Freedom and looks forward to her future at Tennessee Tech.

“My four years playing basketball at Freedom have flown by but I had so many memories. I’m looking forward to my future and being able to do something I love while getting my education paid for,” said Clark.

Laurie Pacholke, Head Girls Basketball Coach at Freedom, had nothing but praise for the young woman.

“Megan committed to the sport and I saw the potential in her when she put up eighteen points in her first game. She scored over 1000 points in her high school career. I am so proud of her and I’m excited to see what the next four years hold,” Pacholke noted.

Spann, a defensive lineman and linebacker for Freedom’s Varsity Football Team, was named First Team All-Conference this year, despite an ACL injury which kept him from playing his junior year. He is anxious to begin his time at Warner University.

“I am very blessed,” Spann claimed. “I tore my ACL last year but I was able to come back and play this year and receive fourteen offers. I liked Warner a lot and so did my mama, I committed two days after visiting.”

Floyd Graham, Head Varsity Football Coach at Freedom, expressed his pride in the great young man who served under him.

“He had the ACL injury a year ago that he fought through, got named to All County this year. I’m very very proud of him and this opportunity. He is always respectful and makes us proud, I wish him the best of luck,” Graham said.

Bray, a member of the Freedom Boys Golf Team for all four years, is very excited about his future at Marysville College.

“The biggest thing I’m looking forward to in college is being able to play golf and go back to where I grew up [Knoxville, Tennessee],” Bray stated.

Michael Passarelli, Head Boys Golf Coach at Freedom, emphasized how big of an impact Bray had on the team, even during his freshman year.

“The intangibles are why he’s here now. We’ve had four straight district titles, all four years Tyler has made first or second team All-Conference, he’s a brutal competitor and a heck of a golfer,” Passsarelli exclaimed.

The Signing Day ceremony took place in the Media Center in front of over 100 friends and family members. Dan Sidwell, Journalism teacher at Freedom summed up the event.

“What a great day this is for these three student-athletes,” said Sidwell. “Their hard work and determination to be great is an inspiration for every other student and faculty member in the school.”