The Freedom Swim Team District Meet

Jacob Schuster, Staff Writer

The Freedom Swim Team had a successful district meet. They faced off against 14 other schools in the area. Venice, Braden River, and King were some of the schools that sent athletes to states last year and expect to send even more this year. But the fight put up by the Freedom team was monumental. Abby Leisure, a freshman, got first place in the 200 freestyle, seconds ahead of her opponents. She also placed first in the 100 breaststroke event with a time of 1:10.17, a great win for Freedom by an underclassman. Not to mention, she  is also a part of the two relays that made it to regionals.

“I think that breaststroke is my best shot at making the state competition,” said Leisure.

Additionally, the 200 Medley relay came very close to the school’s record in the event. The team plans to break records next Saturday at regionals. Genevieve Clark, Junior, swam to get first place in the 50 yard freestyle, an event she has been training for over the past year. Clark reached her goal of 25.98. That is .75 seconds faster than last years’ time, but a big drop for a sprint event.

The boy’s team also did well. The 200 medley relay, as well as the 200 free relay, placed third place. In addition, the 400 free relay dropped time from their Western Conference race by several seconds, earning them fourth in the district in 3:55.82. The team is hoping that the relays advance to regional as consolation finalists. Also, Senior Alex Espinosa went a 53.31 in his 100 freestyle, the sixth fastest recorded time in Freedom High School’s history.

Although not sent home with a district title, both teams were happy with their performances of the day. Senior Aidan Boggs is the first swimmer in three years to have swam under 24 seconds in their 50 freestyle. Boggs anchored both relays as a sprint freestyler, swimming 23.90 for the 200 Medley and 200 freestyle. The swimmers and relays are advancing to regionals next Saturday at Florida Gulf Coast University and are hoping to drop times, set records, and hopefully move on to the state competition.