FHS’ Very Own Wins Florida High School Athletic Trainer of the Year

Bryce Colee, Staff Writer

If you play a sport you probably already know the Freedom High School’s Athletic Trainer, Ian Graulich, also known as Mr. Ian; especially if you tend to get injured a lot. Mr. Ian has been working at Freedom for five years. He attends all home sporting events to provide medical coverage and athletic training care to all the athletes at Freedom. This care includes injury and illness evaluations, treatment, rehabilitation, prevention, and providing referrals to physicians.

“Mr. Ian is really helpful, especially after a long hard practice and the Cross Country team is feeling sore. He’s worked on my knee a lot so I am actually able to run and he shows me stretches and other things I can do to prevent further injuries,” said Junior Cross Country Runner Ashley Edwards.

Mr. Ian attended college at the University of Florida where he got his undergraduate degree and at the California University of Pennsylvania where he got his masters. He majored in Exercise and Sports Science as well as Athletic Training which is in the field of Sports Medicine. The work he does is used to help anybody and everybody at all ages, but Mr. Ian appreciates working with high school students the most.

“I have worked with adults, university athletes, high school athletes, and youth athletes. I find working with high school athletes to be the most fulfilling, many times at these ages athletes are dealing with injuries for the first time and it gives me the opportunity to educate them on their injuries and how to prevent them in the future,” said Mr. Ian.

As a result of all his hard work, he has earned the respect and appreciation from numerous Freedom athletes. Overall, Mr. Ian takes a great pleasure in working as an Athletic Trainer.

“Mr. Ian is the best. When I tore my ACL he worked with me every day to get my knee back to 100 percent. Without Mr. Ian, I don’t think I would’ve been playing at all this year,” said Senior Football Player CJ Hall.

In addition, the work Mr. Ian does at Freedom High School has helped a variety athletes come back from their injuries very quickly. He has also educated them on how to prevent these injuries from happening again.

He works extremely hard to keep all athletes healthy on the field and his work has not gone unnoticed. For 18 years, he has helped athletes come back much stronger from their injuries and this year the 2016 Athletic Trainers’ Association of Florida Awards & Recognition recognized Mr. Ian as the High School Athletic Trainer of the Year.

“I enjoy the challenge of healthcare and seeing athletes return to their sport after injury,” said Mr. Ian.

Overall, Mr. Ian has played a major role in keeping all the athletes at Freedom strong and proactive. He enjoys his job at Freedom and all the coaches and athletes he has bonded with.

“I enjoy working with the athletes here,” Mr. Ian said. “The athletes at Freedom are always entertaining. A lot of times teenagers don’t really have a filter so they’re willing to be honest. Sometimes a little too honest. It’s always surprising to hear and see the things that go on at this school.”