Freedom Talents: Kenz Bray

Anastasiya Sukhenko, Photo and Special Effects Editor

With a population higher than 2,000 students, Freedom High School encompasses a variety of unique and talented people. Sophomore, Kenz Bray, is just one of these gifted students. At already such a young age, she has achieved various awards and appraisal for her artistic skill. With the influence of her “Nana”, who is also an artist, and always having access to art supplies, drawing and design is something that stuck with her and grew into a passion.

“As a toddler, I always had a few crayons and pencils somewhere in my pockets or toy bins. Plus, my Nana is a fantastic artist, and I think she was one of my biggest inspirations as a little kid. It was something I really enjoy doing and stuck with,” said Sophomore Kenz Bray.

Even though she is passionate about all scopes of art and design, her focus is mainly on 2D art.

“I do a lot of traditional ink and marker on paper, but drawing digitally with a computer tablet is something I really enjoy. The tools and techniques are so different, and it’s fun to play with and try out different styles,” said Bray.

As for what she draws, she spends most of her time drawing characters that she’s invented for the stories she’s created.

“I really like to create characters, both imaginary and human. Coming up with stories and designs for comics, animations, or even just a simple doodle,” said Bray.

Not to mention, drawing doesn’t only give her joy but it’s also a way for her to ease her mind.

“Sometimes just taking a break from the real world and immersing myself in my sketchbook and creating new and exciting characters is all I need,” said Bray.

Fortunately, her marvel creativity and technique has already earned her some amazing accomplishments, such as having her work featured at the Dali Museum in Tampa!

“In 8th grade, I won the Award of Excellence at the Dalí Museum’s Student Surrealist Art Exhibition (2015), and also had work shown in the Young at Art Student Exhibition held at the Tampa Museum of Art that same year. Just this year, I entered another piece into the same contest at the Dalí, and also had work put into a gallery inside HCC held in honor of Calyx Schenecker,” said Bray.

In addition to her Nana’s influence, Disney has also been a huge inspiration, especially with The Little Mermaid.

“Disney practically shaped my childhood, and it still is one of my greatest inspirations. The movies and princesses were a huge motivation to me as a little kid, and I would love to be the person to create lasting memories and new characters for future kids, too. When I was very young, I had a huge, almost unhealthy obsession with princess Ariel. I watched The Little Mermaid on repeat over and over, and to be completely honest, I still do,” said Bray.

Even though she’s already had so many accomplishments, she hopes that her talents will be noticed by Disney one day and that she will ultimately work for the business as a Concept Artist.

“My goal is to get some years of art school under my belt after high school, and then find a way to get noticed by Disney. I’ve heard wonderful things about the art and animation program, and Disney has always been such a big part of myself and my family’s life. We all love going to the parks, and every time we do, it just makes me want to work for them even more,” said Bray.

Among her dedication, passion, and skill, Bray also has a mature understanding of being an artist.

“Looking up to other artists is fantastic, but comparing yourself to them is going to get you nowhere. Everything can improve with time and practice, and just because someone’s art looks cleaner than yours or they have more detail, doesn’t make your work any less valuable. It’s okay if your art doesn’t look like someone else because it’s not theirs- it’s yours! And I think it’s important for many young artists to realize that they have so much time to improve. Take it slow,” said Bray.

Overall, Kenz Bray is just one of the creative and talented students at Freedom High School and was kind enough to share her story and work. Amongst her humility, talent and drive it’s apparent that her ability will take her far.