Still Testing The Test

Still Testing The Test

The end of course exams for Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry courses will not be required to count as 30 percent of students’ grades for the 2014-2015 school year.

The Florida Department of Education revealed that scores will not be ready until September, which means the independent validity study that must be conducted before scores are issued will not be completed in time for report cards.

Geometry student Michael Muñoz-Perez states, “I feel it looks bad upon the state of Florida that they cannot grade a test on time and [it] was a complete waste of my time.”

Around 45,000 middle and high school students in Hillsborough County will be affected by this change.

The state has provided three options for students, according to an informative letter distributed to all students impacted by the change.

One of the options is that students can choose to take an optional district exam which would count for the missing grade. This optional exam would only be used if it improves the student’s grade, and thus cannot hurt the students. If they choose to be exempt from the exam, the semester grade will be an average of third and fourth quarter grades.

Additionally, students that have previously taken an EOC (end of course exam) may choose to use the previous score as 30 percent of the semester grade.

Superintendent Jeff Eakins has said the district will be communicating with students and parents to figure out their best option.

“I just think it’s stupid that we spent weeks studying for it and it didn’t even count,” said Algebra II student Collin Payton.

According to Tampa Bay News, district officials have said students might later be able to apply the results of the EOC they took before it was invalidated, depending on results from the EOC review.

The grading policies of Civics, Biology, and US History EOCs have not had any changes and will still be weighted as 30 percent of the students’ semester grades. Scores for these courses’ exams will be released in June.

“I’m just glad I’m not taking the final,” remarked Geometry student Tori Levy.

FSA Connection Questions

1. The author seems to offer what main idea?

2. Select the best two sentences from the article that best support the main idea.

3. Which sentence from the article contains an opinion?

4. What is the author’s main purpose in writing this article?

5. What information, if added, could best support the author’s purpose?