Vaccination Station

Vaccination+Station

Hayley Scalabrin, Staff Writer

Freedom Students over the age of 16 are now eligible to get the Coronavirus vaccine. The vaccines are available at several pop-up locations and at local doctor’s offices. The vaccine has been approved for emergency use by the FDA to slow the spread of Coronavirus.

Nirali Patel, 11, says she is getting the Pfizer vaccine with her sister at Publix. Patel believes that students should be required to get the Coronavirus vaccine because it ensures safety for the other students and the teachers.

“The Pfizer shot is the one my mom thinks is the safest. There are potential side effects, but the benefit outweighs the cost,” Patel said.

Kyla Hoffbauer, 12, has already gotten her first shot of the Pfizer and is scheduled for her second one.

“I am not sure if my college, University of Florida, is requiring the vaccine, I think now it is optional but suggested. I don’t have a problem with it either way, I think it is safer to have it, but I also understand some of the concerns people have had. I agree that private institutions should be able to require the vaccine, but I think it should be a choice in general,” Hoffbauer said.

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine did have complications, studies found that about seven in seven million women who got that vaccine did experience blood clots. The CDC did halt the use of that vaccine temporarily to continue to monitor the side effects from it.
Tripp Weston, 11, plans to get the Pfizer shot because that is the one that he trusts the most.

“I agree that colleges should require students to get vaccinated, unless you are exempt for health reasons. I don’t have any concerns about getting the vaccine and I think private institutions or states should be able to require the vaccine for public health,” Weston said.