Is coffee really beneficial?

Josie Clark, Staff Writer

Many students have been drinking coffee every day for years. They say it helps them stay awake to focus on school, sports, and jobs. But does it really work?  Is it more harmful than beneficial?  

“I drink coffee every day and I drink like six cups. The difference between drinking coffee and not is crazy. I drink black coffee and I can’t get through the day without it,” Hannah Oppegard, 11 said, “I definitely get a crash because when I get home from school I sleep.” 

Coffee can help keep people awake, but it can also lead to a bad crash. People should consider if the effects are worth it. Some people don’t even experience a crash, however. 

“I drink coffee but it doesn’t really affect me,” Sesina Ermias, 12 said, “I just like the taste, I don’t get a caffeine crash.”  

Overall, coffee can either be super beneficial in helping students stay awake and alert or make them crash hard. Some people have become so reliant on the caffeine that they can’t stay awake without it. 

Drinking coffee can be addictive because of the caffeine. Side effects of not drinking it can be fatigue and headaches.  

“If I don’t drink coffee, I can’t make it through the day.” Oppegard continues. “I didn’t drink it the other day and I slept all through first period and all through lunch.”