High School Highlights

Evan Castro, Staff Writer

As the school year winds down, the senior class reflects on their journey to maturity. Every student has had triumphs and challenges from freshman year – figuring out who they are, who they aspire to be and who the friends are that will grow to adulthood with them – to senior year, where the future of colleges, degrees and the workforce comes racing. Parents and high school graduates say that high school flies by, but it feels unbelievable as a 14-year old. But after four long years, most seniors will agree that the time has passed quickly.

High school comes with high expectations, as students feel pressure from parents, friends and themselves to excel academically, socially or athletically.

Alek Rojas, 12, stated, “Coming in as a freshman, my brother [Miguel] was a senior, so I always felt like I had to be like him. He was one of the most popular guys, so I aspired to have a social life like his. I got involved in sports, which was the highlight of my life, especially for basketball… I guess just building all of the friendships and all the outside activities is what made high school memorable and awesome to me. Becoming your own person and seeing yourself become who you are when you’re 18 is probably the best thing about high school.”   

The long practices and spirit of competition of school sports often bonds students together.

Leonardo Pinto, 12, noted, “Soccer was probably one of the biggest parts of high school as it was an outlet for my stress… People find themselves in high school and find who they really are and I think that statement applies to my life due to the future I have coming and what I will accomplish in my life.”  

“For me, my high school career had its ups and downs. I’ve definitely made tons of memories, especially pole vaulting for the track meet and running cross country. I have made some great friends through both sports and will always carry with me the memories that were made,” explained Lauren Parrino, 12. “These past four years at Freedom were filled with early morning meets for cross country and late night meets for track and I will miss those times like crazy.”  

Succeeding in tough courses is another memorable achievement of high school.

“My most memorable moment was passing my first AP exam. It was a great feeling,” shared Camilo Bravo, 12. “Not only that, but relationships both good and bad taught me life lessons I will keep forever, and meeting life-long friends and making unforgettable experiences with them is something I’ll love forever.”  

As the Class of 2018 moves onto higher education and the job market, they will draw on the knowledge, friends and experiences made at Freedom High.