Agriculture Class Rescues Horse

Anna Lamlein, Staff Writer

This past Wednesday, Freedom welcomed a new family member to the agriculture department. His name is Tate, and he’s a fourteen year old Quarter Horse.

Tate was rescued from a sandlot by the Sheriff’s department after he’d been a victim of neglect from his previous owner. Tate was only 518 lbs. at the time, 130 lbs. under his ideal weight. His sorrel colored hair was thinned and mane patchy.

Tate was ready to be put up for auction when Freedom’s Agriculture teacher, Ms. Newcomb, worked quickly to get him placed at Freedom. This is Freedom’s first horse on campus, however the agriculture department currently takes care of a variety of animals – everything from chickens to pigs.

Freedom’s Agriculture Communications and Animal Sciences students, with the guidance of Newcomb, have begun the task reconditioning Tate. Now that he’s gained over 65 lbs., he is ready to start exercising while continuing to gain muscle and weight.

Since his rescue, Tate is still working on expanding his diet. As for now, he eats three small meals a day in an effort to not disrupt his fragile digestive system.

It is believed that previously Tate was a pleasure riding horse, and his calm and sweet demeanor works perfectly with the Agriculture class. He has adjusted quite healthily to his new grassy pasture located behind the school.

As for Tate’s previous owner, he has been ordered to complete a diversion program and is banned from owning any future horses for an extended period of time.

Thanks to Ms. Newcomb and her devoted students, things are looking up for Tate. There’s no sign of him leaving Freedom anytime soon, and he seems happy as ever chowing down on his morning alfalfa hay.