One More Step To Getting A Diploma

From the first day of freshman year, graduation is a common thought among students. With those thoughts come questions about how to get there. While graduation is the ultimate goal, it is usually assumed that everyone gets a diploma, and that often is not the case.

“The most common cause of not getting a diploma is not passing the reading FCAT,” guidance counselor Amber Wright said.

Not getting a diploma is thought of as synonymous with non-graduation, but it is possible to graduate without a diploma.

“It’s called a Certificate of Completion,” Wright said. “You can go to HCC, but you will take an intensive reading equivalent.”

The main graduation requirements include a 2.0 unweighted GPA, and 24 credits. The difference between a diploma and certificate of completion is a passing score on the tenth grade Reading FCAT. Beginning with the class of 2015, a new graduation requirement will be introduced.

“This year’s juniors and below must take a class on virtual school to meet graduation requirements,” Wright said. “But, I don’t think Driver’s Ed will count.”

For some students, the new virtual class requirement will be an easy one to achieve.

“I was going to take a class online anyway,” freshman Sierra Francis said.

Others look at this news with feelings of angst. With more classes comes the burden of more coursework.

“We already have enough homework,” Sophomore Hannah Miller said.

For this year’s freshman, the new requirement is welcomed, making room in their schedules for additional courses.

“I’ll be able to take more college credit classes,” freshman Mikayla Guy said.

Students are encouraged to fill out the yellow form in the guidance office, to meet with a counselor and discuss specific graduation requirements.