Mitchell Leroy: Pitcher Extraordinaire

Matt Bogdanoff, Staff Writer

It’s common for most to play a sport throughout their childhood days, but when adulthood starts knocking on the door, they abandon sports to focus on more essential aspects of life. The same cannot be said, however, for Mitchell Leroy.

Leroy, a junior at Freedom, started playing baseball at the young age of three and has remained dedicated ever since then.

“Baseball is what I’ve known my entire life. I love playing the game because I get to be a part of a team where I know everyone cares,” said Leroy.

Leroy is a pitcher for the Freedom Varsity Baseball Team. He feels confidence when preparing to pitch.

“I know when I step on that mound I’m going to dominate and the competitive edge that pitching brings out of me, is why I love to pitch.”

Leroy added his thoughts about the current state of the team stating, “I think we’re in a good place right now. Last year was a big step in the right direction for us making it to districts and I feel that Coach Baudendistel has done a fantastic job preparing us both physically and mentally to finish the job this year.”

Leroy is a fantastic player on the field but it’s his work behind the scenes and leadership that separates him from the others.

“You can tell that he wants to be the best and the work that he puts in away from Freedom proves his dedication to the game,” said teammate Andrew Wise, 12. “He’s always willing to help his teammates and never puts himself before the team and that’s something that you don’t see often at the high school level.”

Leroy plans on completing his junior and senior year at Freedom and hopes to bring a district championship to the school before his departure.

Recently, Leroy announced that he has committed to playing baseball at Hillsborough Community College.

“I chose to play at HCC because the coaching staff made me feel at home. I would do anything to continue playing baseball and I know HCC provides me with the best opportunity to help me reach my goals past college, even if I’m no longer playing baseball.”