College Football Playoffs

College Football Playoffs

Bryce Colee, Staff Writer

The college football regular season just came to an end and now it’s time for the playoffs. The playoffs consist of the top four teams in the country competing to win the National Championship. This year the top four ranked teams are the Alabama Crimson Tide, Ohio State Buckeyes, Clemson Tigers, and Washington Huskies.

Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson were all in the playoffs last year so it’s no shock that they were going to be top contenders this season. The huge surprise was Washington, they weren’t even ranked at the end of the season last year. Even with Washington’s astounding record of 11-1 some people still disagree with their ranking.

Junior Julio Valesquez doesn’t think Washington should be ranked that high because their schedule has been too easy.

“Washington has only played two ranked teams and they weren’t even in the top 20. The only decent team they played was USC and they lost that game,” said Velasquez.

Washington may have had an easy schedule in the regular season but they need to win the PAC-12 championship against the number eight Colorado Buffaloes to clinch that playoff spot. If they are able to defeat Colorado then they deserve it but if they lose, then that spot is up for grabs for many different teams.

Senior Will Freihofer doesn’t worry about who competes in the playoffs unless it is Clemson.

“I am a die-hard Clemson fan so if they don’t make it to the top four I lose all interest in watching it,” stated Freihofer.

Some people don’t care at all about the playoffs, they just like to know who wins it all, like Freshman Josh Lyons.

“I’m a basketball fan, I don’t pay much attention to football but since Alabama won it last year and is the only undefeated team left they’ll probably win it this year as well,” said Lyons.

Others love watching the playoffs because they are just huge football fans.

“I’m a Notre Dame fan but I love football so much it’s always fun to watch the best teams compete for the Championship,” said Junior Tyler Gray .

The College Football Playoffs start on December 31 with the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl. After that it then comes down to the top two contenders in the National Championship which will be played at Raymond James Stadium on January 9.