FHS Welcomes Soda Machines Back to Campus

Aidan Boggs and Jacob Ishak

Soda vending machines have not been on the Freedom High School campus for almost four years, but they have recently made a return and are available for purchase by students.

The soda machines’ absence from campus was a result of health guidelines put in place by Hillsborough County Public Schools. Freedom was able to set up a vending machine that serves Mountain Dew Kick Starts as they are within the guidelines set by the county.

“Kick Starts meet the proper health guidelines,” said Mr. Duncan, Assistant Principal for Administration. “All Hillsborough County Schools have a contract with Pepsi and therefore can only sell their products. These new Kick Starts meet the health guidelines by containing 10% juice,” he added.

Not everyone on campus agrees with these so called “healthy drinks.”

Senior Kalee Vandeboe stated, “I think that putting in energy drinks eliminates the whole reason of promoting a healthier diet that the schools are supposed to be doing.”

Although some people disagree with the drink options, they meet the health guidelines and generate positive funds for the school. With the addition of credit card readers, it has been made more accessible for students who may not be carrying cash.

Though these vending machines have been on campus for a good time, their presence isn’t known to many.

“I’ve never seen them but I’m excited,” said Sophomore Sebastian Bove. “There are some days I don’t feel 100%, so an energy drink would be the perfect thing,” he added.

Freedom’s Administration is looking to add more of these machines, but since space is limited, it may take a while. As of now there are three vending machines located just outside the gymnasium.

So if you’re feeling parched, go grab yourself a cold one.