New Lightning Season Strikes Hope in the Hearts of Fans

Drew Meyerson, Staff Writer

With the start of the 2016-2017 National Hockey League (NHL) season being right around the corner, countless hockey fans in the U.S. and Canada are thrilled for their beloved sport to return. Within the Tampa Bay Area, an incredibly high number of fans are looking forward to the season for a more specific reason- to watch the Tampa Bay Lightning make another run for the glorified Stanley Cup.

Over the past two seasons, the fan base of the Lightning has grown immensely, given that the team reached the Stanley Cup Finals in the 2014-2015 season and the Eastern Conference Finals in the 2015-2016 season.

This season, fans from the Tampa Bay Area, including those attending Freedom High School, are expecting even better results from the team, given their potential to win the Stanley Cup. The Stanley Cup is the highest award bestowed upon an NHL team and the Lightning has only won this award once, in 2004.

“Yes [I think we can win the Stanley Cup] because we have been close these past two years and we have a good chance with a healthy team,” said Lindsay Strickland, Senior, who has been an avid Lightning fan for years.

Junior Alek Rojas also commented on his high expectations for the season.

“We have a strong core of players with good young guys and a Veteran goaltender [Ben Bishop] so a Stanley Cup is definitely possible,” said Rojas.

However, the question must be asked- what will the difference be this year that will finally allow the Lightning to achieve this elusive goal?

Strickland and Rojas both believe they have the answer.

Throughout the 2015-2016 season, Lightning Captain Steven Stamkos was in the last year of his contract, and was eligible for an extension. However, months went by with little news coming from Stamkos or the team in regards to progress in the deal.

Undoubtedly, this situation led to an uneasy feeling among the players and Tampa Bay Lighting fans, as they were unsure of where their captain would be in a year.

Things changed In July of 2016 when Stamkos was finally signed to an eight-year $68 million dollar contract.

“I think it will be better [this season] because a lot of people are excited about Stamkos staying,” said Strickland.

“Stamkos was signed to a big contract over the summer, so team morale will be up this year,” added Rojas.

Strickland and Rojas are both planning on attending multiple games this season, with Strickland looking forward to Stamkos’s return and Rojas being excited to hear the signature goal horn go off in Amalie Arena.

The Lightning home opener is Thursday, October 13th, at 7:30 against the Detroit Red Wings. Be sure to check in with the Revolution for future updates in regards to the Lightning’s season!