Freedom Football’s First Dub

Bryce Colee, Staff Writer

Freedom High School’s football team got its first win last Friday night against the Alonso Ravens. After losing 34-13 to the East Bay Indians on August 26 , Freedom had a bye in week two, giving them the opportunity to get in some extra practice and to reevaluate what went wrong in week one. Freedom came into week three confidently with their new starting quarterback, Junior Sebastian Cuevas. Cuevas threw for 161 yards and two touchdowns in the 38-7 victory against Alonso.

As the new starter at quarterback, Cuevas felt very confident and was surprisingly calm throughout the entire game.

“I felt real good, I just wanted to keep the team moving. All I could think about was bringing home a win for Freedom,” said Cuevas.

Cuevas was very happy with the team’s performance on Friday night.

“I feel like we played with a chip on our shoulder, we were all hyped and ready to play since we had first stepped on the field. I think that we are becoming more as a whole. This is the year Freedom gets put on the map,” said Cuevas.

Cuevas hasn’t played quarterback since he was eight years old. Since he started high school, Cuevas has played mostly running back and linebacker so making the change to quarterback was a tough thing to do.

Senior Xavier Walker, who plays tight end, scored a very crucial touchdown late in the third quarter was very pleased with the outcome of the game.

“All around the team played very well, it was a great team win,” said Walker.

Freedom’s next game is their Homecoming game against Spoto. Freedom players are confident in their chances against Spoto high school.

“I honestly believe that we have a good chance of winning, we worked and studied hard all week, I know that we are definitely ready for this game,” said Cuevas.

Come out and support your Freedom Patriot football team tonight, Friday, September 15th, against Spoto.