The True Drama Queen

Drama is Ms. Scalera’s life. Which is why she was ecstatic when the theater program was expanded and she was given all theater related classes this 2015-2016 school year. She gives Disney a lot of credit for her love of theatrics.

“My mom said that when I was about one or two years old I would sing the songs from The Little Mermaid.” explained Scalera.

She claims that even though as a child she would make her family sit down in the living room and make them all watch as she belted out tunes from her beloved Disney movie soundtracks, she only got serious about doing theater in High School. After graduating from West Shore Junior Senior High School in Melbourne, Florida (one of the top 10 ranked schools in the state) she became a USF Bull and went on to get both a Bachelors in Theatre Art and Master’s Degree in Secondary English Education.

Ms. Scalera isn’t just book smart on the topic of theater, she’s got experience. She was in her first play in the first grade and since then she has performed in at least two dozen productions and has been backstage for even more. Her versatile expertise in acting, singing, stage-craft, and technical theater has made her the perfect person for the job.

However, education and experience aren’t the only qualities necessary to be a great teacher, dedication is what makes one a unique and truly wonderful teacher.

“This isn’t really a job you can keep for very long if you don’t love it,” admits Scalera.

Despite the long hours of grading assignments, unruly students, and a not-so-wonderful teacher’s salary she loves both her students and her job.

“I live for my students,” says Ms. Scalera. She goes out of her way to be there for her students when they need her, both academically and emotionally. “Everyone in my class is going through something, even if it doesn’t seem like it, it’s my job to push them to do their best work despite feeling their worst. I think it’s important to do your best, especially when you’re going through a rough time, because when you look back you can see all these amazing wonderful things that you accomplished despite what you were going through.”

Many students of hers, even previous students, go to her when they just need to vent or even to have a good cry, and she is humbled by it.

“I have a very special position being a person my students can trust, and I take it very seriously.”

It’s Scalera’s third year teaching at Freedom and she plans on staying for years to come, “This is a good fit for me.”