The Man Behind The Beard

Well distinguished by his countless tattoos, beard or even candid disposition, Mr. Haueter has definitely created a lasting impression on the students at Freedom High School.

“Haueter is one of my favorite teachers, he’s not afraid to call out students who are not meeting their full potential,” said junior Emily Dabrowski.

Mr. Haueter has taught at Freedom High School for many years as an AP Language and Composition instructor, as well as regular and honors English. However, teaching was not his expected career path. He found himself choosing this career after realizing that his college degrees are well suited for becoming an English teacher. Even though he would rather be “Anthony Bourdain“ or owning the “Montreal Canadiens“ hockey team , he has enjoyed his years of teaching and influencing students to become better writers. Aside from teaching students how to write, Haueter also likes to write in his free time. He has written various stories, a fictional novel and is even working on a children’s book.

“After the Harry Potter franchise, I wanted to write my own book in hopes it would prosper, but that was not the case. Everyone was trying to publish books at that time. It was about these elemental children,” said Haueter.

Some students even had the privileged to read snippets of his books.

“He’s super good and should be published already!” said former Freedom student, Emily Brenner.

Not to mention, some of his favorite authors and books include Dave Eggers, Italo Calvino, Harry Potter, City of Thieves, and Lord of the Rings.

In addition to his love for writing, he also enjoys traveling and experiencing what life has to offer. He has explored almost all around Europe during years in college.

“I went to college in England and traveled all over Europe; Thailand [sic], Greece, Hungary, France, Italy,” said Haueter.

One of the most well-known characteristics about Haueter is his tattoos.

“Everyone always points out Haueter’s tattoos. They’re all really unique and I feel like it says a lot about him,” said senior Emily Tatum.

Haueter believes that your body can be used to express yourself, like a canvas.

“If you’re not someone who like talking to people, tattoos can express who you are. It also represents my refusal to grow up. I‘ve got kind of a Peter Pan thing, “said Haueter.

Furthermore, Mr. Haueter mentioned his future plans to take his son, Jonas, to Disney World and joked about forcing him to become a professional hockey player.

“I’d like to have my son play professional hockey so he can take care of me when I’m retired,” said Haueter.

When asked advice Hauter would give to high school students he said, “Take accountability for yourself and show up to school.”